Christmas Quilt

Behold my Christmas quilt! I am so pleased with this quilt, mainly because it went from idea to finished item in around 5 weeks. The quilt I had in mind to make was this Laurie Matthews design but as I was working with a pack of fat quarters I didn’t have enough fabric to follow her pattern so this is where I had to dig into the stash and tweak the design to suit what I had, isn’t that the best thing about quilting?

I sliced my triangles in half and rejoined them to get 14, I played with the layout and decided on this arrangement

talk about making life complicated for myself! Thankfully I saw the light and stitched my stars to one large piece of fabric rather than joining 14 blocks together!

I joined the stars together with some silver Yarn just to add a bit of interest to the plain white background. I constructed the stars using the English paper piecing method, something I hadn’t really done before. Some of the diamonds were fussy cut, I saw the work of flossieteacakes who has opened my eyes to the potential of this technique, her book is now on my wishlist (as if I need any more books but hey :))

Quilting this baby took me a couple of evenings, jeez my arms were sore after manoeuvring it around the machine!

I really enjoyed stitching up the quilt border, it was lovely to feel the weight and warmth of the quilt while I stitched. Through the hours of making this I’d had a vision in my head of me and my girl snuggling under it watching Christmas films and reading Christmas stories. Here she is having her 1st snuggle under it after performing at her nursery nativity.

Here’s a full view of the finished article and some detail shots:

I loved making this and hope that we will have many more Christmases snuggled under its warmth.

Thanks for reading and I’m wishing you all a happy and healthy 2019 x

Advertisements

Aubrey Beardsley Embroidery

This is the template for the embroidery I’m currently working on, it’s an idea that’s been in my head for a few years now and it’s fantastic to see it appearing on the fabric a stitch at a time:

DSC_1487

Friday 28th June 2013

It’s been mounted on the frame and ready to go for about a month and I’ve been picking it up and stroking the tissue paper template, not allowing myself to start on it until the scarf I was working on was done (I will put up some pics of this at some point!)

DSC_1490

I had a couple of days on the sick a few weeks back so I spent them on the sofa watching shite TV and stitching, I was on a bit of a downer about work and just felt generally shitty so a couple of days avoiding what was troubling me and working through it with the needle made me feel better, I know that sounds really self-indulgent but instead of moping and doing nothing it gave me the chance to sort my head out and seeing the progress of the work did wonders for my state of mind – I think the subject matter helps!

DSC_1604

Why in God’s name did I draw the image on the tissue with a pencil? It’s a bugger to see and I have to stitch angled to the light  – an important lesson was learnt here!

DSC_1660

This bottom section is reverse applique, I couldn’t cut as closely to the edge of the red fabric as I wanted so I’m planning on doing a 2nd row of stitching to neaten the edge of the red sections plus I snipped a couple of stitches that I’ll need to go over and tidy up.

I’ve got a total love/hate relationship with tissue templates, I love the feel of piercing the paper with the needle, and the relaxed nature of simply stitching the lines of the drawing. Then it’s really satisfying taking out the large chunks of paper to reveal the work beneath, it’s just the wee bits that get stuck under the stitches that take an age to remove and I get covered in little bits of paper despite my best efforts to put them all in a neat pile…

DSC_1684

The biggest challenge – the top left corner. See what I mean about the pencil outline…my poor eyes! I made the decision to fill the centre of all the circles with French Knots as I wanted to add some texture to the piece so there’s going to be some intense stitching sessions coming on!

A backlog of finished work – No. 1

I may not have posted anything on this in a long while but my hands have been busy doing embroidery, crochet and sewing to justify my sloth like evenings spent watching TV!

This was my first make of the year – a framed embroidery which was a belated wedding gift for my boyfriends niece, it was based on her wedding cake which exhibited one of the most extraordinary examples of cake decoration I have ever seen:

Image

I thought doing an embroidery of the whole cake was a tad ambitious and it would probably have turned into a wedding anniversary present so i decided to make a piece using just a section of the cake:Image

I used yellow felt for the letters and embroidered them with a bright pink silk thread using couching stitch to reflect the piped icing. For the flowers I painted a couple of flowers (taken from the Hen Night Lei we were issued with) with acrylic paint which gave them more of a solid appearance and looked like thick icing. I then cut out some red felt hearts and added them to the piece:

Image

Image

Image

ImageI was really pleased with how this came out and the bright colours were great to work with in the depths of a Scottish Winter! My only regret with it is that I didn’t add the wedding penguins stood at the foot of the cake (the wedding was held in a library and had a Penguin Classics book cover theme) but as the gift was well overdue all ready I thought I better get it wrapped up and handed over!

Hope to post more finished pieces over the next week or so (or going by my current rate of posts the next one will be mid July!)