The big sort out

Well we were supposed to be on the west coast of Scotland on holiday but the van had other ideas. Travelling along the A84 on our merry way the van suddenly lost all drive and a strange grinding sound rumbled underneath us. All of our guardian angels must have swept into action as we were able to coast into a roadside restaurant car park, I mean what are the chances of the breakdown happening right at that spot? We were so lucky,the roads are pretty windy up there and we could have been in real trouble…the upshot of this is that the van had to be winched back home, very cool being in the front cab of the truck just wish I could have experienced it under different circumstances! I was dying to get a photo of the van on the truck but I didn’tthink Paul would want a reminder of the van in such a position! So here we are spending the week at home instead. Thought I’d use the time to have a proper sort out of my workspace which is a mass of clutter with stuff piled round my feet – I can barely find the sewing machine pedal sometimes!

image

image

I found this headboard from a child’s bed out the back by the bins and I had a total brainwave to turn it into a hanging basket storage system

image

( it doesnt look much like a system yet!)
Id been wanting to make these for a while so this provided the perfect opportunity

(link to website)

image

So there we have it! It gives me a wee bit more space but I couldn’t put up the shelf I wanted on the adjacent wall due to the presence of leccy cables in the wall so theres still an organized jumble of stuff on the desk but it’s a contained jumble and I can lay my hands on my tools pretty easily now.

Quilted art

image

Ive done bits of embroidery before but it’s been used more as an embellishment rather than the sole method of making marks on the fabric. As I haven’t done any hand sewing in ages I thought I’d start with something relatively simple. I love woodcuts from the 16th and 17th century – this one dates from around 1550 and features imagined natives of Africa – what strange and wonderful creatures! I started off by tracing the image then pinning it on to the fabric

image

Originally I was just going to do tacking stitches around the main outlines but I got carried away and forth first 2 figures I ended up sewing through all the shading as well as I wasn’t very confident about doing the detail free hand. After spending ages trying to pull the tiny bits of tissue from inbetween the stitches with tweezers I thought bugger it and did the rest of the detail just going from the image,

image

This shot is a bit dark as I took the photo about 12:30 last night! My plan is to attach the embroidery to some batting and to sew round the figures and the lines on the ground to give it some depth, I’ve got some frames that are a bit small for photos so I thin I’ll mount it in that. Really pleased with how it’s come out – Paul was looking at me with a “god what you up to now” look on his face but he thinks

it’s quite cool now! Ive been off work with the flu for a couple of days this week so thisvwas a great to do while I was lolling on the sofa watching Jeremy Kyle and 60 minute makeover!

image

Stitching the border

image

Finished and mounted on card – shame about the shoogly border but this was my first attempt so I’m not being to hard on myself!